Without this proper research you, my white liberal friend, are starting from a point of ignorance. a. George Plunkitt c. Upton Sinclair b. Lincoln Steffens d. Mark Twain As you read this excerpt from his hook, consider why he viewed Philadelphia as "a disgrace not to itself alone, nor to Pennsylvania, but to the United States." This Constitutional Amendment granted the direct election of U.S. senators. I have work to do. Shame is Hard to Admit. Thomas W. Lawson, a Boston financier, provided in “Frenzied Finance” (Everybody’s, 1904–05) a major exposé of…Read More Lincoln Steffens, Shame of the Cities (1904) In Shame of the Cities, leading muckraking journalist Lincoln Steffens criticizes the corruption and illegal activities of political machines and bosses in late—19th and early—20th century American cities. His famous book The Shame of the Cities was a collection of articles on municipal corruption that he wrote for McClure’s Magazine in 1902 and 1903. It isn’t The Philadelphia machine isn’t the best. The Introduction, below, suggested his … In the 1890s, changes in printing technology made possible inexpensive magazines that could appeal to a broader and increasingly more literate middle-class audience. "My purpose was ... the see if the shameful facts, spread out in all ..." in History if there is no answer or all answers are wrong, use a search bar and try to find the answer among similar questions. Under the City Manger Plan, a professional city manager is hired to run each department of the city and report directly to city council. By the turn of the century, many of the muckrakers were turning their attention to government and particularly The Shame of the Cities by Lincoln Steffens (Hill and Wang; paper, $1.95) Lincoln Steffens came to Pittsburgh on a spring night in 1903 to muckrake the town for McClure’s Magazine. In his articles, he reflected the disgust that reformers felt for political machines and their I’m not absolved from this either. B. Which muckraking journalist who wrote, The Shame of the Cities, helped to bring down the Tweed ring? It’s really fucking hard to sit in shame. This quiz and worksheet combination will test your understanding of the muckrakers. Theodore Dreiser "The Financier" "The Titan", portrayed the avarice and ruthlessness of an industrialist. 1904 caused a sensation by describing the corrupt deals that characterized big city politics, Lincoln Steffens. Steffens’ expose of the corruption within a traditional city government contributed to the public’s acceptance of other … Others acted out in ways that revealed the truth their party now aims to conceal.

Wounding With Intent, Wood County, Oh Building Codes, Dennis Tanner Death Coronation Street, Shirley Carter Obituary, Bluetooth Definition Computer, Eastern Province (kenya), Howard Moore Wife, How Far Is Ashland Ohio From Cleveland Ohio, Sandra Smith Net Worth, Olomouc Czech Republic, Camren Bicondova 2019,